Fabric Shapes


I tried to recreate this shape using a light weight, medium weight and heavy weight fabric, to show how the form changes in different fabrics.


This is the heavy weight fabric.  For this I used oil cloth.  I liked using the heavy weight fabric the most as it kept the shape quite well and it was easy to work with.




I like this shape from the side, it's quite structured.



This is the light weight fabric, I used dress lining for this.  I liked working with it even though the shape I was recreating wasn't suited to this type of fabric as it didn't create structure.  I thought it would be too slipperly to work with as it is quite shiny but it was actually quite nice to work with.  This shape came out quite flat compared to the original but I still like the way it hangs. 




This was the medium weight fabric, I used poly-cotton for this.  This was the fabric I liked working with the least.  It wasn't strong enough to hold the shape or create structure, but it didn't hang well either.  It was also quite difficult to manipulate and get the shape right.  I changed the shape a little in this one to suit the fabric more.  




I cut out some more of the same shape in the light weight fabric to use on the mannequin because I had really liked working with it and wanted to see what else I could use it for.  I layered several of the shapes on top of each other to build up a shape on the shoulder.  


I really like how this turned out.  I liked the way the fabric builds up soft shapes because I had made a lot of structured shapes before this.



I also pinned the shapes around the neck, which I liked too.  I would have preferred to work more with the light weight fabric but I was very stuck for time.  The shapes took a long time to cut out and I would have needed a lot more of them for that.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment